1/30/18

{truth}


"Worship Me only. Whatever occupies your mind the most becomes your god."

sounds so simple doesn't it? i think most of us, me included would say that it's the God {capital G}, Lord of Heaven and earth who we worship but when we look closer, is that always true? is it Him that i run to first when i have a problem or is it my  husband or a friend or google? is it Him who occupies my mind when i have some down time or is it surfing the net, catching up on facebook or watching tv? these things are not wrong in and of themselves, but when they come before God or i spend more time with them/doing them than seeking God, they can quickly become my idols, my "little 'g' gods"

who or what occupies more of my time? spending time with God and His Word, the Bible or some of those other things? those other things can be very good things. they can include reading Christian books, serving, loving, helping others. but when those other things start to come before my relationship with God and His Word, the Bible, they have become a "little 'g' god". when i am reading these books, am i following them blindly or am i comparing them against the Bible? am i turning to these books, written by human hand for my guidance and instruction or am i using them as a companion to the proven, inerrant Word of God? what is the bottom line, where is my basis for how i act, how i respond and the decisions i make each day? is it founded on my Bible study book or God's book? i'm going through a great Bible study right now with an on-line community of beautiful, Christian ladies but i find that i need to daily check where i'm basing truth ... is it in the words written by wendy blight in the book "i am loved" {or anything else i may be reading} or is my truth backed up by the Holy Scriptures ... the ones that are "profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" {2 timothy 3:16}

2 timothy as a whole is an amazing passage to read. in it we are reminded that in the last days, we will be led astray by godlessness ... there will be those {and their teachings}  "having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power {vs 5}" we are told to "avoid such people. for among them are those who creep into households and capture ... leading astray ... {men will be} always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth" {vs.5-7}. as we read further, we are instructed "continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus" { vs 14 & 15}. chapter 4 goes on to say "for the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions and will turn from listening to the truth and wander off into myths" {vs 3 & 4}. 

ouch! what a good reminder to always come back to scripture, to test what you have read, or heard or believed to be true against God's Holy Word, the Bible! so often what i read in the Bible is hard to hear. it points out hard truths, ways that i am not pleasing God, things i am doing/not doing and ways that i need to change. i don't like what i read, or don't fully understand what i'm reading so i turn to other sources ... friends, facebook, google, books written by man. this is not what i should be doing, and i need to change my focus. my one true God the only true God is found in His word! i need to guard my heart and mind and make sure that all of the "little 'g' gods" clamoring for my attention take their rightful place in my life. i need to worship Him and Him alone. i need to seek Him first and follow His Words for my life first!

dear Lord, let me seek you first in all that i do today. let me put the "little 'g' gods" where they belong and follow You first and foremost. help me to seek out and be aware of those other things that i'm letting creep into my life that keep me from You. lead me, guide me, direct me in all that i do today. help my life be in service to You and You alone! amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment to let me know you stopped by! ♥

So many changes ...

We like to tell people that we love Chattanooga so much we moved here twice! Since my last post in 2020, we spent eight months in Michigan...