3/11/12

Amazing Grace ♥


Amazing grace
How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now I'm found
Was blind, but now I see
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed
My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy rains
Unending love, Amazing grace

The Lord has promised good to me 
His Word my hope secures
He will my shield and portion be 
As long as life endures

My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy rains
Unending love, Amazing grace

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow
The sun forbear to shine
But God, Who called me here below
Will be forever mine
Will be forever mine
You are forever mine!

This is one of the songs that we had sung at Rick's funeral service.  The kids from the Youth Group came up to sing it - wearing their Packer and/or Camo clothes - even Jimmy who does NOT like the Packers donned Green & Gold in honor of Rick's love for the Packers!

Most of the service is a blur, but I DO remember the kids & Robin up front leading this song.  I've heard it many times on the radio since, but have not been in "corporate worship" (at church) where it's SO MUCH MORE PERSONAL.  I LOVE the whole song, the "old" lines of the beautiful old "Amazing Grace" hymn and the newer added portion.  I love the thought that ALL of Rick's chains are GONE!  He struggled with a bad back for so many years - sometimes it didn't bother him too much, but more often than not, it was sore - kind of like a never ending toothache.  He also had "tennis elbow" from "striking joints" when laying block, brick and stone.  Now, ALL those aches and pains, those "chains" are GONE!  

I also love the part that says "The Lord has promised good to me, His Word my hope SECURES, He will my SHIELD and PORTION be as long as life endures"!  What a beautiful promise, as I think of the glories of a PAIN FREE Heaven that Rick is enjoying, I'm immediately reminded that even though I'm left here, the Lord has promised GOOD to me, my HOPE is SECURE because of HIS word, and He will be my shield and portion . . . for as long as my life endures!  Great promises to hang on to!

My "Jesus Calling" devotional today read, "Walk by faith, not by sight . . . when I gave you My Spirit, I empowered you to live beyond your natural ability and strength . . ."  That is so neat - it ties RIGHT in with HIM being my SHIELD and PORTION! 

It was a BEAUTIFUL late winter/early spring day here in the U.P. today!  My car thermometer read 65 degrees!  I was able to squeeze in a 3 mile run in between church, a quick trip to town and a Youth event at church tonight!  Wings and Wii has become an annual event and tonight 7 teams of 4 (which included our church's "college kids", our teens and some adults) played Wii bowling and enjoyed 500 ranch, bbq, hot, sweet & sour & teriyaki wings!  Rick always LOVED Wings & Wii night - not because he came and "bowled" but because he stayed home in the peace & quiet (probably watching the Outdoor channel or maybe The Amazing Race!), but because I always brought a few wings home to him.  I'm finding more and more that even though they are bittersweet, I like when those memories come!  It's so nice to have so many wonderful memories that we shared!  Even with the reminder that I didn't need to bring any wings home to Rick, it was a FUN night . . . the 2nd in a row spent with my church family.  That and a couple of GREAT conversations with some WONDERFUL friends that came about unexpectedly made for a really good weekend! ♥

While at Wings & Wii tonight, along with the chatter of 30+ people and 4 T.V. sets with Wii bowling being played, someone decided to add to the fun by playing "Chopsticks" on the piano!  The notes of the song are still running through my head (one of the FEW piano songs I used to be able to play!) and brought to mind a catchy little song that we used to sing to that tune.  It went like this (anyone else remember it?):

Jesus my Savior will love me forever,
He'll never forsake me no never; but always
He'll walk close beside me
and tenderly guide me
until I reach Heaven's bright shore.

Oh, won't you come and go with me
and be God's dear child for eternity
He'll save your soul and make you whole
if you'll only trust Him just now!

Jesus my Savior will love me forever,
He'll never forsake me no never; and some day
with angels in glory
we'll all sing the story
forever around the bright throne!

I just LOVE it when I'm reminded that GOD IS ALWAYS WITH ME!   It started this morning in church, being with my church family, greeting people as Rick loved to do, listening to the sermon and singing about HIM being my shield and portion right through tonight when a few notes played  on the piano again reminded me of HIS constant watch care over us!  He will walk right beside me (yet He's already in my tomorrow too!) and tenderly guide me, until I reach Heaven's bright shore - where I KNOW Rickey will be waiting for me!  ♥

"For we walk by FAITH not by sight!"  2 Corinthians 5:7


AMAZING GRACE, MY CHAINS ARE GONE!

And now, I'm going to TRY to get to sleep - hoping my mind and body will adjust to the time change - that's what I get for keeping such late nights lately - it's 11:00 right now, but my body's still at 10:00 - AT LEAST an hour earlier than I've turned in lately! 

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog by chance yesterday, and while reading through it yesterday, I didn't know it yet, but God led me to your blog. I am broken, on my knees, and spent 30 min. literally crying out to God. As I began to try to compose myself the song that I 1st listened to was Amazing Grace. While I wish I was in Heaven now, with my chains gone, and myself pain free, I know that God is not through with me here yet. I have been praying/begging to God to give me back my old life. The life I had before I got sick. The one where I had friends, I went to church, I worked, I enjoyed spending time with people, the one where I wasn't sick. But after reading your blog and going through my experience last night, I now know that I must accept the new normal. I'm never going to get my old life back. But before I go any further in this life, I MUST accept the new normal. As hard as that is to write, it's even harder to do. I know that you are on the journey to your new normal, and I ask that as I begin mine, that you pray for me.
    I will continue to read your blog and pray for you and your family. I know how hard it is to lose someone you love, and especially how hard it is to lose that love overnight.
    Thank you for writing this blog and thank God that I found it when I did.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete

Please comment to let me know you stopped by! ♥

So many changes ...

We like to tell people that we love Chattanooga so much we moved here twice! Since my last post in 2020, we spent eight months in Michigan...