11/20/11

...I can do ALL things through Him who strengthens me..

...on Sunday, we had plans to go to Marquette to Maddie & Lila's dedication service and Daila & Maddie's Birthday party to follow. On Saturday night, it began snowing so after some texting back and forth with Nick, we decided not to risk bad roads and we stayed home (Nick, Ashley & the girls will be coming down later in the week so we will have a little "party" then!).



Since we stayed home, we went to church where the passage of the day was from Philippians 4, regarding CONTENTMENT. As Pastor was preaching, 3 verses JUMPED out at me, 2 from the passage, and one a few verses before in the chapter:



Philippians 4:7 - And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus



Philippians 4:11 (b) - for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.



Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.



We ended the service with the song, "Day by Day", which left a few tears sneaking their way out of my eyes, because I'm sad that Rick's not here with me anymore and also because of THANKFULNESS that I was reminded of that DAY by DAY, the LORD HIMSELF is near me! ♥ My dear friend Jen came over by my and just put her arms around me - again surrounding me with ♥LOVE♥ and God's reminder that others are hurting right alongside me and that I (and the girls and all the rest of us missing Rick) am LOVED!





Day by day, and with each passing moment,

Strength I find, to meet my trials here;

Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,

I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.

He Whose heart is kind beyond all measure

Gives unto each day what He deems best—

Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,

Mingling toil with peace and rest.



Every day, the Lord Himself is near me

With a special mercy for each hour;

All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,

He Whose Name is Counselor and Power;

The protection of His child and treasure

Is a charge that on Himself He laid;

“As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,”

This the pledge to me He made.



Help me then in every tribulation

So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,

That I lose not faith’s sweet consolation

Offered me within Thy holy Word.

Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,

Ever to take, as from a father’s hand,

One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,

Till I reach the promised land.



...what a beautiful old hymn, and what a story behind it, when I looked up the "hymn history", this is a bit of what is said about the writer of these words:



Lina Sandell, was a daughter of the pastor of the parish church of that community. Being a frail youngster, she usually preferred to spend her time in her father's study rather than to join her comrades in play. When she was twenty-six years of age, she accompanied her father on a journey to Gothenburg, but tragedy occurred before the destination was reached. The ship gave a sudden lurch and Lina's father fell overboard and drowned before the eyes of his devoted daughter.

Although she had written hymns prior to this tragic experience, more songs began to flow out of her broken heart which reflect a simple, child-like trust in Christ and a deep sense of His abiding presence in her life.



I do NOT consider it a coincidence that the story of this song that touched me so was written by a daughter who had, herself, lost her Daddy - just like my beautiful girls (and boy!) . . . it is yet again another proof that GOD IS WATCHING OVER US every second of every minute of every day! :) and HE still keeps sending me reminders, that are tangible and my human mind can comprehend!



After church, we came home and had leftovers then went to Uncle Gary & Aunt Bev's house to bring Uncle Gary "love on a plate"!! (a.k.a. a piece of Birthday cake - this is what he said to Tessa when she brought him a piece of Rick's cake back in August). It was good to see them again, and hug and cry and honor Rick's memory!



Next was Gramma & Papa Rye's house (the first time I have been THERE), for the Packer game. It was good to be back there and spend time with this wonderful family who loved Rick right along with us! I'm so thankful for them, and their faith and that they raised Rick in a CHRISTIAN home where he learned to love the Lord with all his heart, soul, mind and strength, and truly his neighbor as himself! What a wonderful gift to know you have given your children!



At half time, Rochet, Taya & I left and went to town where I did a little "birthday shopping" with gift money from my parents and also Thanksgiving dinner shopping. I'm so thankful for my wonderful sister-in-law who has been such an encouragement in the LORD to me in recent days - she has gifted me with several items that declare the love of GOD and keep me pointed in the right direction. Another reminder of how blessed I am! Tessa headed home and did homework (something wonderfully "routine") and Kajzi stayed at Gramma & Pup's with Addie and they baked up a pan of wonderful bars!



Here I am, caught up in my writing (though there is SO MUCH I haven't said), and relaxing in bed with my sweet Kajzi next to me, Tessa & Taya snug in their rooms and memories that I hold dear reminding me that even though my time with Rick was WAY TOO SHORT (in my human mind), it was a BLESSED time and I am so honored to have been called his WIFE and to have had such an AWESOME husband and BEST FRIEND!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment to let me know you stopped by! ♥

So many changes ...

We like to tell people that we love Chattanooga so much we moved here twice! Since my last post in 2020, we spent eight months in Michigan...