2/17/12



..."Quiet trust makes a powerful statement in spiritual realms.  My strength and power show themselves most effective in weakness."   ~ Jesus Calling

...Therefore, I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities, that the strength and power of Christ may rest upon me!  2 Corinthians 12:9

The last couple of days, my mind has wandered to the "what-if's"

  • What IF Rick hadn't had a bear tag this year (and ultimately wouldn't have needed bear bait, so he wouldn't have "bartered" for it) . . . 
  • What if Jim had needed Rick to work with him that morning (so he wouldn't have been on "that" roof) . . . 
  • What if we weren't going to camp that afternoon (maybe they were rushing) . . . 
  • What if, what if, what if . . . 

IF (and when), I stop focusing on GOD and give Satan that "little crack" into my mind, that is what happens . . . I start "wondering", my mind starts "wandering", I stop trusting and I start doubting . . . 

Thankfully, most often that happens when I'm driving, AND listening to the radio or the girl's iPods . . . and CHRISTIAN music!  Yesterday, it was the radio and the song that has played more times than I can count when I'm thinking about Rick and Heaven is the song by Mercy Me that starts, "THIS IS NOT MY HOME!" 

. . . That and other songs, "snap" me out of the "what-if's" . . . because, ultimately, when my mind goes to those, I come back to the TRUTH.  The TRUTH that GOD ordained Rick's days.  Not me.  Not the "jobs" or side jobs he did.  Not rooftops or hunting.  Not my wants or wishes or desires.  God's hand ordained each day of Rick's life.  In telling people about that day, I like to say that in those moments, as Rick was falling, God was calling, and RICK OBEYED!  God called him HOME, and Rick went, gladly, willingly, actually anxiously . . . He went when God called!  That's an awesome word picture if you can wrap your mind around it!  And as I focus on THAT thought, the what-if's don't matter, because as Rick told me over and over, "Bud, it doesn't matter, if I'm on a roof or on the couch watching the Packers, when it's my time, it's my time". . . . Of course, I NEVER thought his "time" would come this soon, I thought it would be years and years into the future before I had to face the truth of that statement, yet, in God's plan and timing, that's not how the story was written.  So, as my devotional this morning said, "Quiet trust . . . ", that is what I must have, quiet trust, and His strength and power will show themselves most effective - when I am weak . . .

JESUS LOVES ME
THIS I KNOW
FOR THE BIBLE TELLS ME SO
LITTLE ONES TO HIM BELONG
THEY ARE WEAK
BUT HE IS STRONG!

Today, these past couple of days, I have been one of those "little ones", those "weak ones", yet, He is strong, He has been strong, and He will be strong.  In that I can REST.  In that I can TRUST.  In that I can sing...

This is not my home
This is not my space
Can't get comfortable
Can't get settled in...!


1 comment:

  1. once again, you have blessed my heart with truth and peace knowing our Father is there for you and me as well, as we go forward day by day without our best friends, I continue to pray for you and the girls that his loving arms will surround you with his love and comfort. Bev.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment to let me know you stopped by! ♥

So many changes ...

We like to tell people that we love Chattanooga so much we moved here twice! Since my last post in 2020, we spent eight months in Michigan...